Engineering Manager Future Technologies
Engineering Manager Future Technologies
Based in Rotterdam, the Netherlands
Upfield is a global leader in plant-based nutrition with a great history and a portfolio of iconic brands that people have used and trusted for generations. This includes Flora, Rama, Becel, Blue Band, Country Crock, I Can’t Believe it’s not Butter and ProActiv.
We are a global food company operating in 95 markets with more than 30bn consumer touch points with our products every year. Still, we have the mind-set of a start-up. This makes us fast, agile, entrepreneurial, cost conscious and accountable for our products – from seed to serving at the breakfast, lunch or dinner table. We take quality seriously and around the world we taste products every 30 seconds. We take our consumers seriously and more than 150 people will taste test each of our new innovations before they hit the shelves.
As a member in the Global Engineering organisation responsible to lead the engineering design team to define and shape Upfield’s future proof, flexible and sustainable product packaging equipment.
The role is also responsible to define and shape Upfield’s global utilities assets to render them more sustainable and cost efficient.
- Source and coordinate with key OEM suppliers and the design team the development of innovative packaging solutions to be in line with Upfield’s future looking Packaging strategy
- Develop together with the OEMs New Packaging Machinery Technology solutions in response to the Upfield strategy and assessing the fit/impact with current operations.
- Defining performance standards and criteria for the optimal operating framework of the equipment
- Support packaging community in agreed innovation projects facilitating the development of agreed standardised solutions when new machinery is required in line with Upfield’s packing technology roadmap
- Driving the machinery convergence program within agreed technology platforms including maintaining a database of best practice machinery, suppliers and packing hall configurations. Additionally, identifying areas of synergy and leveraging best practice and scale.
- Development of aligned packaging integration with pack machinery specifications to ensure compliance with the Upfield Quality standards for product and pack
- Generate capital estimate and feasibility studies, including timings, based on an understanding of conversion cost drivers and technologies including cost modelling of machine/material solutions
- Undertake technology supplier evaluations in support of defining the technology supply base including scouting for New Packaging technology which will provide competitive advantage for Upfield and be in line with its Sustainability objectives
- Develop understanding of the machine / material interfaces, ensuring optimum solutions are delivered allowing flexibility in Upfield’s supply chain network
- Be the link between the engineering design team and other functions in the organization to ensure a seamless introduction of consumer relevant and flexible packaging equipment solutions into the supply chain network
- Key point of contact to advise and work with supply chain factories across the regions to identify and quantify impactful, sustainable and cost-effective energy efficient utilities / equipment and programs
- Knowledge management of Utility equipment ensuring Best Practice, URS and standardisation in equipment is effectively documented and transferred across regions and factories. This should be completed via the development of “live” machinery specifications and technology transfer documents
- Support the GE Director in planning and managing Utilities project priorities in the regions in line with Upfields Sustainability and value creation program
- Takes personal responsibility for safety and a healthy environment on the projects, and demonstrating this by example
- Ensures the projects are properly planned, executed safely, OTIF, strictly within budget and successfully handed over to the respective Sourcing Unit team
- Leads and develops the engineering talent within the organisation and region
- Builds durable relationships with preferred suppliers and contractors to ensure reliability and cost optimisation
- Leadership skills in Process Engineering with the ability to handle complex multi-site projects with values ranging from 0.5 – 20 ME
- Ensuring safety as our number 1 priority
- Managing conflicting project priorities and complexity while delivering a high rate of innovations
- E2E OTIF within budget of the agreed capital project portfolio whilst adhering to Upfield standards and Engineering excellence
- Cooperation with multi-disciplinary teams for the definition, planning and delivery of capital projects
- Contribute to the development of the Upfield Global Engineering Organisation, Capabilities, Resources and to the Delivery of its Global Vision
- Accountable for ensuring due diligence and compliance of the projects with the Upfield Engineering and QA standards as well as the application of specific local obligations and / or requirements
Outputs / performance Metrics
- Safety in Project Execution
- Strict Budget & Schedule adherence in delivery of projects
- Engineering Excellence and Quality standards
- Sustainability & savings impact
- Customer / Stakeholder Feedback
- 10+ Years in FMCG or related Industry
- Operated at senior project manager level
- Fulfilled a variety of engineering and supply chain projects with track record of delivery
- Project engineering / management experience
- Leadership skills in Engineering with ability to handle complex multi-site projects
- Carrying the responsibility for project successes and providing strong direction for the teams
- Excellent communication and co-ordination skills (both verbal and written).
- Flexibility to travel intra- and inter-continentally
- Attained Professional Engineer Status (Or member of professional institution)
- Packaging technology experience
- Utilities knowledge and experience
- Capital Procurement experience
- Professional Engineering Skills – Educated to degree standard in an engineering discipline
- Project design - Mfg Excellence Design Principles (FO), Design Process Mgt (FO)
- Project Delivery (All sub-skills – Fully Operational)
- Maintenance Principles & Best Practice (WK)
- Cross Functional Skills - All sub skills(WK - FO)
Standards of Leadership required
Passion for Growth, Organisational Awareness, Developing Others, Holding People Accountable, Strategic Influencing
Travel would be required typically 1 to 2 weeks away from home per month
Global Engineering Group
Regional SC Leadership
Sourcing Unit Directors
Quality Assurance organisation
P&I / T&I
SU Supply Chain Managers
Upfield subject matter experts
Contractors, Packaging OEMs and Service Providers
Consultants and Subject matter Experts
Local Planning and Regulatory Officials
Global Engineering Director
Your Personal Power!
At Upfield we want you to bring your ideas, your motivation and desire to succeed! This part of the role is up to you to complete.
At Upfield our purpose is clear …… Making people healthier and happier with great-tasting, healthy and natural plant-based products which are good for our planet!
We are a highly entrepreneurial fast-paced team running a multi-billion Euro business across 60+ countries with the mind-set of a start-up! We are agile, creative, fast-to-market and obsessed with customers and consumers.
Interested in this role?
Apply online. Your application will be reviewed against our requirements and we will be in touch shortly to provide you with an update on the status of your application.