The Quality Analyst will use analytical and sensory methods to evaluate products at the time of manufacture. The role will interface with Production to function as a technical resource for quality requirements, assist in trouble shooting and production improvement investigations, as well as implementation of corrective actions applied.
- Safety. Knowledge and understanding of national Safety and Environmental legislation and company policy, systems, and practice relevant to Sourcing Unit and the legal responsibility placed upon individuals. Must actively contribute to the safe working environment, to include full engagement in the Behavior Based Safety Program.
- Reduce costs due to waste and minimize impact to health, safety and the environment through working to eliminate waste and through the correct management of waste and hazardous materials. Must actively contribute to an eco-efficient environment.
- Encourage the development of a highly effective team through the establishment of a positive team climate supported by authentic leadership and clear communication. Be pro-active and strive to develop the best practices and action plans to deal with work demands.
- Facilitation and Coaching. An ability to facilitate and coach team members to support team performance and increase knowledge of policies, procedures and ways of working.
- Decision Making. An ability to make decisions leveraging experience and knowledge of internal policies and practices to effectively and efficiently administer key programs.
- Problem Solving. An ability to identify, prioritize and address problems using appropriate tools and techniques that eliminate recurrence.
- Quality. Knowledge of product quality and food safety procedures. Become a contributing member of the site Food Safety Team and have full understanding of the site HACCP plan.
- Management. Able to coordinate business resources and apply risk management processes. Keen sense of prioritization and ability to influence change. Resolve conflicts where identified.
- Administration. Timely and accurate administration of all Quality paperwork
- Business Awareness. Understand the business needs for change and innovation.
- Review of laboratory SOP’s and assists in updating, creating and organizing as needed.
- Take ownership of based programs (Calibration, Document Control…)
- Conduct routine and as-needed inspection and testing of various packaging and raw materials being used to manufacture Margarine and Spread products.
- Microbiological testing on intermediate & finished product.
- Participation in Quality Strategy teams and activities
- Perform capability sampling and projects.
- Perform GMP and internal audits
- Conduct shift quality training (PQS, Freeweigh, GMP…)
- Ensure appropriate records, documents and reports are completed as required
- Other duties as assigned
- Product specification controls: analyze product taste, moisture, salt, pH and sorbate presence
- Make adjustments/communicate with batchers as necessary based on analytical results
- Packaging quality control: appearance, fill, code dates.
- Ensure necessary corrections are made and that non-conforming goods is place on hold.
- Verify QC records are in order and filed accordingly
- Collect samples for micro analysis using proper Good Laboratory Procedure (GLP); utilizing Petri-film/pour agar methods.
- Conduct micro analysis on aqueous phases, finished product.
- Ensure the fill control of Line products is in compliance with standards.
- Verify line operators are complying with the fill policies.
- Assist operators in learning FreeWeigh system, trouble shooting, system administration
- Assist in managing SOP’s related to laboratory activities, line testing and microbiological analysis.
- Maintain proper document control for lab related documents
- Use MS Office and other current software for documentation, data entry and analysis
Root Cause Analysis:
- Participate in/learn to independently lead Quality Root Cause Analyses with small production teams
- Perform light housekeeping duties and maintain a 5S/ clean and safe work environment
****Can operate on days, off-shifts and weekends as factory requirements demand****
- Bachelor’s Degree; BS or AS Degree in related area of study or equivalent from an accredited institution.
- Practical experience, with a minimum of 1 year, in a Quality or Lab environment
- Proficiency with MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Ability to work independently and together with other employees, to have experience with analytical methods
- It is desired to have experience in lab analytical methods, handling lab chemicals, understand food industry safety and GMP, Micro sampling, using Access database, and handling scale equipment.
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written, with the ability to influence others.
- Strong interpersonal skills; the ability to build collaborative relationships and networks with multiple and diverse stakeholders, internal and external partners.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment
- Ability to drive change and innovation by gathering knowledge and resources to ensure tasks are completed within timelines to a high degree of accuracy and professionalism.
Upfield is an equal opportunity employer. It prohibits discrimination based on age, color, disability, national origin, race, religion, sex, veteran status and any other legally protected class in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.