Product Safety Manager, Research and Development
Product Safety Manager, Research and Development (Scientific Affairs)
Based in Rotterdam, Netherlands
Upfield is a global leader in plant-based nutrition with a great history and a portfolio of iconic brands that people have used and trusted for generations.
This includes Flora, Rama, Becel, Blue Band, Country Crock, I Can’t Believe it’s not Butter and ProActiv.We take quality seriously and around the world we taste products every 30 seconds. We take our consumers seriously and more than 150 people will taste test each of our new innovations before they hit the shelves
We are on a mission to help people eat healthy and to reduce carbon footprint through the power of plants!
If you would like to join us, read on!
Working as part of our Scientific Affairs team and reporting to the Head of Product Safety, you will work with our product developers and supply chain teams to ensure that our consumer products are safe by design, and safe for their intended use. You will ensure our understanding of current and emerging risks is up to date and use your expertise to help us develop innovative consumer products. Part of your role will include supporting market issues if they should arise.
You will work with internal company experts and third-party expert advisors as part of an agile risk-management ecosystem. You’re an expert and you enjoy working on time-critical business challenges.
- Drive the Upfield product safety agenda globally:
- o Provide food safety expertise for Upfield innovation projects to ensure that all products are safe by design for their intended use.
- o Detect, evaluate and advise on emerging risks related to our innovation programme and product portfolio
- o Deliver transparent, well documented risk assessments to enable robust decision-making. Communicate internally and to business partners on risk assessment outcomes and provide guidance on risk management (where appropriate)
- o Provide food safety expertise to the global Scientific Affairs, R&D teams, and market units as required.
- o Conduct occasional risk assessments out-of-hours to support issue and crisis management as required
- Managing Safety Data
- o Curate clinical, post-launch-monitoring and other studies relating to ingredients and products.
- o Manage safety data enquires from authorities and fulfil data requirements for regulatory documentation other than compliance.
- o Represent Upfield scientific, technical interests as needed, through industry associations and/or direct with regulatory bodies, authorities, scientists.
Skills/ Experience/ Qualifications:
- Higher degree in Food Science, Chemistry, Toxicology.
- Proficiency in risk assessment and experience in its application in an industrial context
- Good working knowledge of food safety inside and outside the European Union and member states.
- Good understanding of food toxicology and food regulations.
- Excellent external networks / credibility with regulatory authorities and scientists
- Minimum 5 years’ experience managing product safety or regulatory affairs in a multinational food company, government or national authority. Industry experience is desirable.
- Flexibility and willingness to adapt within a fast-changing business environment
- Good influencing and communication skills; ability to communicate scientific information to individuals from other disciplines or from non-technical backgrounds. Ability to work in cross-disciplinary teams and in multi-cultural environments
- Fluency in English is required. Proficiency in one or more European languages is desirable.
- Travel Required-Approximately ca. 10% depending on role and business needs
Your Personal Power!
At Upfield we want you to bring your ideas, your motivation and desire to succeed! This part of the role is up to you to complete.
At Upfield our purpose is clear …… Making people healthier and happier with great-tasting, healthy and natural plant-based products which are good for our planet!
We are a highly entrepreneurial fast-paced team running a multi-billion Euro business across 60+ countries with the mind-set of a start-up! We are agile, creative, fast-to-market and obsessed with customers and consumers.
If you are an entrepreneur at heart and have a passion for winning, a strong understanding of B2B business, and would like to join us, apply online