Location-Hackensack, New Jersey
Reports to Marie Hlavaty, Chief Legal Officer (Americas)
Want to make an impact where it matters?
At Upfield our mission is clear: to make people healthier and happier with great tasting plant-based nutrition products that are good for you and better for our planet.
Upfield was formed in July 2018 with the spin-out of the spreads business from Unilever through the investment by KKR.
We are the #1 producer of plant-based spreads globally, and we believe in doing what’s right for our people, our customers and the planet.
We’ve got iconic brands like Country Crock, I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter, Rama, Blue Band and Flora that people all over the world know and love. We’ve been a trusted category leader since 1871 and yet we feel like we’re only just getting started.
Performance, Passion and Care define who we are as a company, how we work every day, and the responsibility we feel toward our Associates, our consumers, our business partners and our world.
We have big ambitions to grow this business and we want to attract the right people – those that love what they do, thrive on responsibility and are looking for limitless career defining opportunities.
You’ll have to enjoy working in a fast-paced, demanding environment and it will take hard work and determination; we will give you the ownership you need to make an impact.
You will be expected to be make a solid commitment to the position and you will be expected to deliver on what you undertake. We’ll give you the freedom and flexibility to do your job.
If you want to make an impact where it matters, apply now!
#upfielders #upfielder #upfieldglobal
Upfield has identified the need for someone to assume a counsel position supporting the CLO (Americas), who has responsibility for the legal needs of the U.S., Canada and LatAm businesses. This is a very dynamic time for Upfield as it completes its transition from Unilever and launches an innovative trajectory both in terms of its products and how it goes to market. The need for strong, multi-faceted legal support to the company and its operations is apparent.
The candidate will have a combination of firm and in-house experience willing to take on diverse responsibility. Demonstrated experience assuring the ability to provide balanced legal/commercial counsel. Ability to maintain high degree of credibility and effective working relationship at all levels of the organization.
This is a contract opportunity for the next 6 months with the opportunity to transition to a permanent position for the right candidate.
Day to day responsibilities will include exposure to wide range of disciplines. Candidate must have aptitude for and comfort dealing with variety of matters as this position will often be the first line of defense on a range of issues for an evolving company, including to:
• Provide timely, complex analysis and guidance to ensure maximum protection of the company’s legal rights and compliance with applicable laws.
• Review and negotiate myriad of contracts including non-disclosure agreements, customer and vendor arrangements, programming, marketing and talent contracts.
• Support manufacturing and operations, regulatory, R&D, administrative and compliance functions, sales and marketing, HR.
• Proactively identify and address potential risks.
• Assist with administration of the legal function and corporate secretarial matters.
• Attorney with minimum 5 years of experience, combination of firm and in-house experience is desirable (those with secondment assignments from a law firm to a company would also be differentiating factor).
• Member of NJ Bar.
• In house experience in CPG or pharma industry a plus.
• Experience working with multi-national companies a plus.
• Exposure to and comfort navigating digital commerce and data privacy issues.
• Ability to organize and deal with multiple projects, teams, tasks, priorities and shifting deadlines.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills; ability to influence but careful listener and willingness to collaborate.
• Exceptional attention to detail.
• Strong proficiency of MS Office skills, including Excel and PowerPoint.
• Ability to travel as matters deem necessary.
Competencies we look for:
● Self-directed, motivated
• Bias for Action
● Accountability and responsibility
● Practical creativity; entrepreneurial mindset
● Highest ethical and moral values and competencies