Main Job Purpose:
The role of the Process Engineer is to apply engineering principles to improve processing efficiency, yield, and uptime. This position provides subject matter expertise for recipe formulation, batch and continuous processes. The Process Engineer is a key liaison with research and development teams and provides leadership for execution of plant trials.
The individual will work with Electrical and Mechanical maintenance, Operations, Safety, and QA personnel to help deliver business objectives by utilizing their technical capabilities.
Can operate on days or shifts as factory requirements demand
- Develop subject matter expertise for existing plant processes. Partner with operations to drive process improvement and loss reduction.
- Own plant yield mapping and management processes
- Implement and utilize statistical process controls to ensure product quality standards are achieved
- Design, specify, purchase, and install equipment to satisfy production requirements
- Troubleshoot technical and process problems that may arise with new or existing systems (24hrs/7days)
- Coordinate with R&D on introduction of new products, process development, pilot trials and advise on associated equipment constraint
- Create process procedures for new products and review existing process procedures for improvement opportunities.
- Collaborate on program modifications to existing packaging machinery and process system PLC’s, HMI’s, Batching and Data Collection systems
- Assist in developing training plans and conducting training for processing technicians and mechanics.
- Drive standards management for processing with coordination from Upfield engineering
- Own management of change process for plant processing
- Provide technical expertise for PM development and spare parts management
- Provide technical input for plant instrument calibration programs
- Develop functional descriptions for processing
- Assist with capital project management and execution as needed
- Understand and apply World Class Manufacturing (WCM) principles for continuous improvement
- Attend safety, operational and technical training as required
- Participate in Safety, Quality and Improvement work teams
- Attend factory acceptance testing at vendor’s facilities.
- Comply with all company and plant rules
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical or Chemical Engineering from an accredited institution.
- 5+ years of experience (Food Manufacturing preferred)
- 5+ years of engineering expertise
- Proficiency with MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Experience applying engineering principles to drive loss reduction in food processing systems
- Ability to understand and modify Process Flow Diagrams (PFD’s) and Process Instrument Diagrams (P&ID’s)
- Ability to understand and troubleshoot process instrumentation and equipment such as pressure, mass flow, temperature and conductivity sensors/transmitters; pumps; valves; pneumatic transfer and blending systems.
- Working knowledge of World Class Manufacturing improvement processes
- Experience applying statistical process control to manufacturing processes
- Ability to understand and utilize Siemens Batch Flexible and Process Historian software packages.
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written, with the ability to influence others.
- Strong interpersonal skills; the ability to build collaborative relationships and networks with multiple and diverse stakeholders.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment.
- Ability to drive change and innovation by gathering knowledge and resources to ensure tasks are completed within timelines to a high degree of accuracy and professionalism.
- Ability to effectively manage conflict while creating an inclusive work environment.
Upfield is an equal opportunity employer. It prohibits discrimination based on age, color, disability, national origin, race, religion, sex, veteran status and any other legally protected class in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.