Team Leader Midwest
We are Upfield, a global expert in plant-based butters, creams and spreads. We believe in great tasting plant-based alternatives to everything dairy. Upfield with more than 100 brands, including Becel, Flora, Country Crock, Blue Band, I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter, Rama and ProActiv, operates in 95 countries around the world, with number one brand positions in 49 countries. Upfield’s 6 business units cover Northwest Europe, Southwest Europe and Central and Eastern Europe, North America, Middle/Latin America and Asia/Africa. The company employs more than 3,500 Associates worldwide.tc
The Team Leader – Midwest is responsible for the development and delivery of growth and profit targets for the Midwest to include direct responsibility for Meijer, AWG Corporate, & SuperValu corporate. In addition, the role will have 1 direct report that manages / grows downstream retailers including regional Supervalu divisions / chains, AWG regional customers / buying groups, Spartan Nash, and other Midwest regional grocers.
This role will include responsibility for managing the headquarter relationship at Meijer with broker admin support with a goal of becoming Meijer’s preferred plant based dairy partner. In addition this role will manage the headquarter relationship at AWG and Supervalu with broker support, but will be expected to own the relationship / strategy at the wholesaler / customer level supported by a Regional Business Leader (RBL). In addition to managing the customer relationship the role will also be responsible for providing leadership, coaching, and development for RBL modelling Upfield’s value of Care, Insurgency, and Performance.
Effective broker management will be a key to being successful in this role. The role will provide the strategic vision for how we profitably grow with underdeveloped regional accounts within AWG & Supervalu. Upfield is in growth mode and looking to drive a growth agenda across all retailers driven by core brand renovation, innovation, and digital transformation.
Candidate must possess ability to network and build great relationships, both internally and externally. In addition to having a deep understanding of the customer’s needs and providing effective communication of these needs within the internal organization is critical. Prior experience with both Meijer, AWG, & Supervalu is desired but will consider candidates with a strong background in one of the channels. Broker and wholesaler management experience is a requirement. Position reports into the VP of Sales, Upfield West.
The role is a home-office based role with a geographical territory consisting of entire US for name customers.
Responsibilities will include:
• Achieve profit, volume, distribution and other key metrics as assigned by leadership
• New Business Development that includes both developing and selling channel strategy
• Development and implementation of sales plans for both new and existing business
• Build value-enhancing relationships with key customers including Supervalu, AWG, and Meijer.
• Negotiation of contractual terms to ensure maximum ROI for Upfield
• Research and development of a target list of potential accounts within wholesalers designed to drive new business
• Management and Development of Upfield Regional Business Leader and broker network that will drive sales growth in small chain / independent retailers.
• Sharing of best practice across cross functional teams, with specific focus on the activation of these practices
• Management of retail broker execution within assigned territory.
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
• Proven track record in selling with progressive influence on ROI
• Extensive knowledge (7-10 years) of Wholesale channel including managing brokers with track record of delivery
• Strong negotiation skills and an established network of contacts within wholesale / Midwest customer base.
• Ability to work both independently and as a team member
• Good influencing, interpersonal, and communication skills including verbal, written and presentation
• Understanding of P&L, financial projections, and financial metrics
• Customer-focused attitude
• Ability to think strategically and translate strategy into a tactical plan
• Exceptional team leadership skills
• Strong Microsoft Office skills (Word, PowerPoint, Excel)
• Travel 50%+ to include customer visits, team meetings, and trade shows
At Upfield our purpose is clear …… making people healthier and happier with great-tasting, healthy and natural plant-based products which are good for our planet!