Head of Logistics
This job is a key role in the USA Supply Chain team. You will lead the Logistics team that consists of 7 FTE that will report to you.
As the Head of Logistics, you will be responsible for the management and optimization of the Transportation, Warehouse, and DC 3PL networks (DC’s and co-manufacturing). You will be responsible to create the conditions to achieve our logistics goal (i.e. on time delivery, inventory accuracy, cost, and quality). The successful candidate will have knowledge of the end-to-end supply chain process that will enable them to collaborate across the supply chain to dive into these areas.
The role works collaboratively with key business partners to ensure of execution of operations to safely drive customer service, OTIF, payloads and financials across these businesses.
What do you do?
- Your team is divided in 3 branches:
- Transportation – this team leads and executes the transportation plan from shipment creation to carrier tendering, and final delivery to the end customer. In addition to managing the service and quality through the transport network, this team is responsible for delivering breakthrough cost through payload improvements, tender acceptance management, carrier reviews, and strong freight audit pay processes. As a result, this team has close relationships with customer service, planning, finance, procurement and the DC teams.
- From an operational standpoint, this team is responsible for all transportation planning activities. They will coordinate the shipment tendering process and ensure that any rejected shipments are covered through spot market. They are responsible for tracking the delivery all the way to the end customer via Fourkites and following up appropriately with carriers on any alerts.
- From a governance standpoint, this team is responsible for implementing a strong supplier relationship program and pushing our transport partners to meet standards on service, contract adherence, cost management, and sustainability. They are responsible for on time delivery results to our customer and working with our carriers and customer service teams to drive improvements.
- From a cost standpoint, this team is responsible for monitoring key cost indicators such as payload, cost per ton, accessorial spend, and spot market upcharges. The team will partner with customer service and sales teams to drive improvements in ordering patterns, and adherence to forward logistics terms on key buckets such as detention and lumper fees. The team will also partner with procurement to review contracted rates on a defined frequency to ensure rates are competitive versus market for our prepaid contracts and our CPU discounts.
- Distribution Center (3PL) Network – this team manages the DC network for our Spreads and Violife businesses and works directly with our 3PL partners to ensure on time shipments, quality adherence, inventory accuracy, and spend at budget. This team is responsible for ensuring that our 3PL partners are working according to our DC governance standards and are adhering to contractual terms. They are the liaison between the 3PL’s and internal Upfield teams with key responsibilities such as providing forecast visibility, line of sight to new initiative launches, operational constraints, etc. As a result, this team has close relationships with customer service, planning, transportation, finance, and procurement.
- From a strategic standpoint, this team is responsible for implementing the future network design for our DC network. This work includes implementing future space solutions, optimal contracts, strong KPI/governance models, and integration of new businesses such as Violife.
- From an operational standpoint, this team is responsible for ensuring our DC’s are set up to deliver our volume commitments at benchmark service and cost. They will work with the 3PL’s to eliminate OS&D and customer complaints.
- From a cost standpoint, this team is responsible for identifying productivity improvements with our 3PL partners and managing to budget.
- Plant Warehouse – This team manages the inbound flow of materials and the outbound flow of finished goods from our New Century plant. This includes management of the warehouse operational teams inside of the plant that operate on a 24/7 schedule. This team is responsible for managing the yard capacity, dock door capacity, warehouse space inside of the plant and unloading/loading of materials. This team works very closely with the core operations teams to plan the daily requirements of pallets and trucks out of the facility and then partners with transportation and the DC’s to ensure that the plans are executed seamlessly to prevent stoppages in the flow of goods.
- From a system standpoint, this team works to identify solutions that will streamline management of the warehouse such as potential yard management and WMS solutions and then works to build a business case to bring that vision to life.
- From a cost standpoint, this team is responsible for implementing the Factory Direct process which requires strong coordination with customer service, transportation, and quality. This includes identifying and implementing repeatable processes and setting KPI’s to effectively execute all opportunities.
- From an operational standpoint, this team works with our transportation and DC teams to efficiently manage the flow of shuttle trucks to our largest DC in Edgerton, KS. This includes management of trailers and drivers at the facility that continuously keep our operation moving day to day.
- Link with Marketing Sales Organizations on customer requirements and logistics terms of sale
- Finance and Procurement to drive solutions in cost
- Global colleagues in logistics and IT for continuous development of our processes systems and planning skills
What do you need to bring to the table?
- High level of experience leading 3PL’s and transportation carriers
- Experience or knowledge in the management of a plant warehouse operations
- Ability to drive results through both influence and contractual means, high level of SRM experience
- Ability to support procurement in contract negotiations and execution with suppliers
- Full understanding of the hand-offs between company plants, 3PL and carriers and how these interactions drive customer service
- Ability to develop long-term strategy and the needed short-term actions to drive business results
- High level of knowledge related to RFI/RFP for carriers and 3PL DC’s
- Ability to lead development of tactical and strategic plans to drive customer service levels, financial budgets, and cost savings initiatives
- Ability to drive results though influence and contractual means
- Managerial experience
- Strong stakeholder management skills;
- Accurate and structured way of working;
- Strong sense of ownership;
- Bachelor/ Master degree in engineering or equivalent
- Extensive MS Office (e.g., Excel) experience;
- Excellent communicative and analytical skills
We are the largest plant-based company in the world, and we believe in doing what’s right for our people, our customers and the planet.
At Upfield our purpose is clear: we make people healthier and happier with nutritious and delicious, natural, plant-based products that are good for you, our planet; and with packaging that’s free from plastic. We’ve got iconic brands like Rama, Country Crock, Blue Band and Flora that people all over the world know and love. We’ve been a trusted category leader since 1871 and yet we feel like we’re only just getting started.
Performance, Passion and Care define who we are as a company, how we work every day, and the responsibility we feel toward our Associates, our consumers, our business partners and our world.
We are a highly entrepreneurial fast-paced team running a multi-billion Euro business across 60+ countries with the mind-set of a start-up! We are agile, creative, fast-to-market and obsessed with customers and consumers.