Marketing Manager, Francophone West Africa
At Upfield our purpose is clear: we make people healthier and happier with nutritious and delicious, natural, plant-based products that are good for you, our planet; and with packaging that’s free from plastic. We’ve got iconic brands like Rama, Country Crock, Blue Band and Flora that people all over the world know and love. We’ve been a trusted category leader since 1871 and yet we feel like we’re only just getting started.
Performance, Passion and Care define who we are as a company, how we work every day, and the responsibility we feel toward our Associates, our consumers, our business partners and our world.
We have big ambitions to grow this business and we want to attract the right people – those that love what they do, thrive on responsibility and are looking for career defining opportunities.
About the Role!
We are looking for a dynamic and outstanding all-round marketing professional to join our new insurgent business that focuses both on retail and food service marketing. The role will report directly into the Head of Marketing for Africa. The Marketing Manager will focus on the end-to-end mix development and deployment of our brands and innovations in Francophone West African countries. The individual will be based in Abidjan with travels to key countries in West Africa when necessary.
As a Marketing Manager at Upfield you will be the driving force behind delighting our consumers with our natural healthy plant-based products and ensuring that everyone is talking about them! Working with the Marketing director for your market or global brand you will have your finger on the pulse of the consumer. You read what they read and where they read it, eat what they eat. You are grounded in their world and reality and are excited to bring products and brand experiences to their world using all media channels with an emphasis on digital that are relevant, timely and engaging.
Operational excellence comes easily to you – you are just as comfortable with the latest sales by SKU as you are with a discussion on the creative idea behind our brands. You love numbers and know and understand the patterns in data to bring insight to the table. In fact you are completely absorbed with analysing all data points and instigate an insurgent approach to consumer tests to find the sweet spot, to make our brands fly.
We are data driven and provide state of the art tools to equip you e.g. Salesforce and Marketing Cloud, to win.
You are experienced in working in an international environment and have a good balance of strategy and driving local initiatives. Collaboration to bring the very best result is in your nature – it’s about getting the win for Upfield and our Consumer.
Positivity is in your DNA – high/focused energy drives you and ignites those around you to do great things. Let’s face it, you’re a bit of a magnet for talent…
- Own the performance for your brand – accountable for the P&L and for translating ideas into action
- Own every element of your brand from the equity, strategy, performance, and profitability
- Deliver game changing brand strategy that brings the consumer into our brands and delivers loyalty and commitment to achieve business goals
- Leading and loving landing brilliant execution in digital, PR and in-store – drive our brand awareness via owned and earned channels, working to create and run successful influencer events.
- Into the data zone – you love to dig into the data and uncover the insight jewels
- Innovation is at the heart; you work across all functions to build best tasting products that tell a story the consumer and customer cannot ignore with winning financials.
- Work to raise brand awareness/maintain image and ensure best in class across your market/Brand(s) with integrated sales & marketing plans, tools, and creative assets.
- Champion local consumer insights throughout the organization to ensure sustainable growth of the business and optimal brands’ equity.
- Work with Sales as one team – listen and learn continuously to improve our mix and impact in market.
Additional responsibilities will include:
- Creative briefs and manage Hot House/digital agencies as required, working to establish Upfield’s ‘test and learn’ approach to decision making in market
- Develop creative concepts and ‘big ideas’; working with creative production teams, plan and design creative assets used for tests and campaigns; build on test learnings to improve ideas before scaling
- Develop and manage innovation / renovation to market with R&D - manage brand innovation for your local market / develop business cases
- Analysis: Track and report P&L, S&OP, and media performance against target customer segments; identify tests and campaigns to drive brand and category objectives
- Assess media performance, extracting learnings from tests to deliver highest impact campaigns
- Be informed on factors that impact product availability and marketing effectiveness: stock, cost, category perception etc. with local data access; make decisions to adjust as needed
- Own in-market execution and activation of the brand
- Communication of brand to consumers across channels
- ATL (traditional and digital)
- In-store (activation – promo, pricing to the specific events brand is activated against)
Key skills / behaviors
- A proven track record in delivering brand growth and managing a holistic brand P&L: strategic outlook to define brand targets, sales mix, margin levers and contribution
- A deep consumer focus, taking an audience led approach, translating insights into marketing and activation activity
- Has a strong creative eye with the ability to articulate briefs and provide feedback with impact
- Can work in an agile, test and learn, iterative manner as part of cross functional rapid response teams
- A driver of collaboration, can lead a cross-functional team internally, delegate effectively and influence across levels to make things happen
- A creative problem solver who can find solutions for business challenges and ensure internal barriers do not get in the way of external success
- Regularly challenge your own assumptions and those of your team to improve our work
- Thrive on ‘making things happen’ and seeing ideas through to action
We are the largest plant-based company in the world, and we believe in doing what’s right for our people, our customers and the planet.
We are a highly entrepreneurial fast-paced team running a multi-billion Euro business across 60+ countries with the mind-set of a start-up! We are agile, creative, fast-to-market and obsessed with customers and consumers.
If you want to make an impact where it matters apply now!