Director of Procurement - Americas (24-Week Contract)
As part of the Americas Procurement Team, the primary purpose of this position is to lead the Procurement organization for Americas to support and deliver on Americas targets by aligning Procurement resources, leveraging the supplier network for goods and services within the geographical area, and by connecting as matter expert with other function leaders; Manufacturing, Marketing, HR, Legal, Supply Chain, and many others.
Lead and develop the global team responsible for packaging and procurement in the Americas.
For Packaging, you deliver a new global comprehensive strategy to eliminate duplication and complexity while streamlining the process and delivering on firm-wide savings and EBITDA targets. Additionally, you will work with the commodity risk team to develop a comprehensive price risk mitigation strategy. Finally, working with Supply Chain and R&D, you will facilitate the transition away from plastics. You will be responsible for developing a global team where no such organization exists today.
For Americas - you will lead and execute on 3 PM (third-party manufacturers), local direct and indirect procurement strategies, and facilitate alignment with key stakeholders in Supply Chain and Marketing. You will align and integrate the Latam and North American procurement teams into a single effective team with a common set of best practices.
Current Spend: 950 mln EUR
Global Packaging: 300-350 mln EUR
NA Procurement: 500 mln EUR ( ex-packaging: 400 mln EUR)
Latam Procurement: 150 mln (ex-Packaging: 100 mln EUR)
This is a key functional and strategic role that will directly interface with the Board and Senior Executives. You are a take-charge type of leader who is looking to roll up his/her sleeves on day one. You will drive results by optimizing procurement and hedging risk strategies and ensuring alignment globally. You thrive in entrepreneurial environments and have an “owner’s mentality”. You are able to interact and communicate effectively with the senior stakeholders on the Upfield Executive Board.
You will report directly to Martin Kreil, Chief Procurement Officer who leads the Global Procurement Team.
- Define, lead and develop a team of 10-12 people.
- Drive Upfield procurement value creation agenda in Americas and Global Packaging, increasing EBITDA and driving growth.
- Develop smart, break-through, category strategies.
- Leverage category buying power and build relationships with preferred category suppliers.
- Cover and connect the global and regional scope of the organization.
- Work with Supply Chain to ensure a true end-to-end process for forecasting demand and ensuring adequate inventory and supply.
- Develop a young high-potential team and manage their progression and strategy development.
- Complete transition from Unilever contracts and 3 PM and set up new relationships and processes.
- Ensure your team has the skills to analyze and develop a deep understanding of the supply markets, including external economic factors which influence those markets. Provide regular updates to key senior leadership team members including the CEO Participate in key senior leadership investment and special projects
- Align and lead best practices with buying teams and risk management in the front office ensuring optimal pricing indices and conditions are chosen.
- Represent Upfield at relevant Industry Meetings and Events.
- Internal: Upfield Executive Team, Procurement Team, Supply Chain teams, R&D team, Legal team, Marketing team, Finance business partners
- External: Suppliers: Commercial management and Top Management of Key Suppliers, Agents, professional organizations, industry networks, and others.
- Travel globally for Supplier meetings, Industry meetings, project meetings, and team meetings. Travel intensity as per job requirements
Skills and Experience Required
- 20 plus years leading raw materials, packaging procurement within the FMCG along with senior experience in managing and setting up third-party manufacturing agreements. A keen understanding of packaging technological changes. Understanding / Experience in commodity risk management - an asset.
- Strong leader with a clear vision who is able to communicate this vision and develop a team who will execute it.
- Left-field thinking and fearless to drive change.
- Proven leadership and change management skills
- Able to manage and align senior stakeholders and multiple commitments.
- Ability to build a professional network in new markets.
- Proven experience leading and delivering innovation in price risk management solutions for packaging.
- Experience on large-scale change management projects and in international assignments is a plus.
- Exemplify a high degree of personal integrity and interpersonal, negotiation, influencing, and stakeholder management skills
- Fluent in verbal and written communication in English
- Enjoy working in a fast-paced entrepreneurial environment.
- Driven to succeed.
We are the largest plant-based company in the world, and we believe in doing what’s right for our people, our customers and the planet.
At Upfield our purpose is clear: we make people healthier and happier with nutritious and delicious, natural, plant-based products that are good for you, our planet; and with packaging that’s free from plastic. We’ve got iconic brands like Rama, Country Crock, Blue Band and Flora that people all over the world know and love. We’ve been a trusted category leader since 1871 and yet we feel like we’re only just getting started.
Performance, Passion and Care define who we are as a company, how we work every day, and the responsibility we feel toward our Associates, our consumers, our business partners and our world.
We are a highly entrepreneurial fast-paced team running a multi-billion business across 60+ countries with the mind-set of a start-up! We are agile, creative, fast-to-market and obsessed with customers and consumers.