This position reports to the NA Quality Lead and will be responsible for the site-wide consumer safety and quality systems for Spreads Category which have been established via the HACCP process. Hence, facilitating development of policies and systems which are aligned to Upfield’s Corporate policies. Implements and upgrades these systems via a systematic continuous improvement approach.
The position will play a critical role in Maintaining an effective site wide sanitation program which includes, developing, communicating & execution of master cleaning schedules and procedures/instructions.
This role is also directly responsible for the direction and supervision of the QA lab analysts in analytical and micro labs.
- To develop and maintain Quality systems for the site, in compliance with Upfield Policies/Guidelines and Governmental regulatory requirements
- To provide technical information/advise/feedback to customers and other functions, on product inquiries or complaints, process troubleshooting and Upfield policies and guidelines
- Protect the company from possible financial loss due to sub-standard ingredients and packaging material through effective testing and sampling programs
- Ensure that all products meet or surpass defined standards of quality by developing, implementing, and monitoring an effective Quality Program to the HACCP standard and Upfield’s Framework
- Support quality and food safety programs including HACCP and FSCC-22000.
- Support development, communication, and achievement of Department & Plant Sanitation Objectives / goals
- Supervise sanitation employees & activities; validate cleaning procedures and regularly verify cleaning activities to ensure program standards and requirements are met and records are maintained
- Train, orient, supervise, coach, and evaluate current and new sanitation staff in cleaning SOPs, GMPs, chemical use, sanitary procedures, food safety requirements and other company policies and procedures. Training of QA personnel in Spreads methodologies for testing and QM
- Manage pest control program: work closely with 3rd party pest control service provider
Maintain sanitation documents (policies, procedures, and records) as required
- Identify areas of improvement based on self-inspection and audit findings; follow up to ensure gaps are addressed; adapt procedural changes to eliminate recurrence.
- Ability to define performance measures related to the quality, food safety and sanitation
- Ensures that Sanitation department equipment and systems are current and in proper functioning order by ensuring all employees adhere to an effective preventative monitoring program, and through timely interaction with the engineering and maintenance departments and/or external suppliers and industry groups
- Direct and participate in the cleaning and sanitation functions of the plant and equipment to ensure proper sanitation methods and practices are utilized and follow regulatory, certification, and organizational standards, incorporating CIP, GMPs, SOPs, SDS, HACCP, and all requirements’ guidelines from CFIA / FDA
- Establish, enhance, and execute cleaning and sanitation procedures; maintain, follow, and update the master cleaning schedule, sanitation programs, and work instructions.
- Manage cleaning chemical inventory and concentrations; ensure proper handling, storage, and use of chemicals including the CIP workstream in totality for any improvement
- Review and revision of procedures related to Spreads categories for local SU implementation. Communication of new procedures of Spreads category to the operations floor
- Support the internal audit and inspection program based on given schedule. Support external and internal audits performed by regulatory bodies, certification entities and customers
- Communication with local or 3PWH to block, release and/or destroy any non-conforming material (RM, PM, WIP, FG) for Spreads category. Follow up on RCAs completion to prevent recurring incidents for Spreads category
- Overview implementation of allergen management program for Spreads category. Lead validations of allergens for production lines for Spreads
- Overview implementation of actions that are required to remove and correct micro and FM hazards in the production of Spreads. Lead cleaning and disinfection validation to prevent micro and FM hazards in Spreads. Define Master Sanitation Schedule for Spreads
- Support the update of VACCP and TACCP analysis related to spreads ingredients. Verify compliance of claims based on results received from 3PLabs for Spreads RM/FG.
- Lead implementation of food safety standards in design for Cheese category based on scientific affairs communication. Identify food safety hazards/risks in equipment/building design with support of scientific affairs team for Spreads category
- Calculate and communicate KPIs related to Right First Time to the local factory for Spreads category. Lead improvement action plans to increase the Right First Time of the spreads category. Follow up on RCAs completion to prevent recurring incidents for Spreads category. Communicate with Central quality for RCAs and improvement plans designed for increase of RFT for Spreads category.
- Lead with R&D factory assessments to verify requirements are met to support innovation from SU standpoint for Spreads category. Work with R&D to analyze and disposition product from trials and from intensive care periods for Spreads category.
- Lead ( MOC ) changes pertaining to quality and food safety for Spreads category. Review changes proposed by other SU departments to make sure they comply with QA and FS requirements for Spreads Category.
- Revision of 3PM QA Manual prior to be sent to 3PM to input Upfield quality requirements for Spreads category. Follow up with 3PMs for RCAs and corrective actions to minimize CC for Spreads category. Audit 3PMs in cases that is required for Spreads category.
- Communication with 3PWH to manage sampling, reworks and transportation/WH related issues for Spreads category. Audit of 3PWH for approval/inspections for Spreads category.
- Lead investigation of food safety or high risk consumer complaints and communicate outcome to external parties (marketing, legal, careline, management) for Spreads category. Trend analysis of consumer complaints and definition and implementation of improvement actions based on it for Spreads category.
Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor of Science degree in Food Science, Chemical Engineering, Chemistry or Microbiology.
- 3-5 years’ experience in a plant environment with strong exposure to Quality, Sanitation, Consumer Safety and Environmental management systems.
- In depth knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety legislation
- Knowledge of HACCP, GMP, Quality Regulations and sanitation. Knowledge of spreads manufacturing and quality systems is an add on.
- Certification in Acidified Foods Manufacturing is ideal
- Excellent written, verbal and presentation skills.
- Experience working on a Unionize environment.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver large-scale change activities.
- Proven Track record in People Development, coaching and influencing skills
You’ll have to enjoy working in a fast-paced environment and it will take hard work and determination; we will give you the ownership you need to make an impact.
You’ll have to deliver on the commitments you make. And we’ll give you the freedom and flexibility to do your job and build your own career.
At Upfield we want you to bring your ideas, your motivation and desire to succeed! This part of the role is up to you to complete.
We are the largest plant-based company in the world, and we believe in doing what’s right for our people, our customers and the planet.
At Upfield our purpose is clear: we make people healthier and happier with nutritious and delicious, natural, plant-based products that are good for you, our planet; and with packaging that’s free from plastic. We’ve got iconic brands like Rama, Country Crock, Blue Band and Flora that people all over the world know and love. We’ve been a trusted category leader since 1871 and yet we feel like we’re only just getting started.
Performance, Passion and Care define who we are as a company, how we work every day, and the responsibility we feel toward our Associates, our consumers, our business partners and our world.
We are a highly entrepreneurial fast-paced team running a multi-billion business across 60+ countries with the mind-set of a start-up! We are agile, creative, fast-to-market and obsessed with customers and consumers.