Head of Digital & Media
About the Role!
Upfield is looking for a Head of Media and Digital to lead our European paid, owned and earned media initiative.
Someone who is confident at driving the end-to-end media strategy and steering the execution of it. Bring Upfield to a leading agile company in the media space. Responsible for all aspects of delivering ROI through agile and effective, performance-oriented planning and buying, the execution of media tests, scale campaigns and managing our Global and European media agencies.
Someone who can work with our local markets to build inspiring and robust media strategies, powered by real-time data, which build awareness and affinity for our brands. Someone who the markets end up fighting for time with because you are so helpful – directly or by assigning a great team member to their business who then becomes highly valued. That goes for other stakeholders within the Upfield organization as well – you make them advocates for healthy media investments. You’re excited by testing and learning before scaling big investments, and helping the brands share those results in ways that unlock more media investment. Someone who brings energy, positivity and action into the workplace and who can inspire and motivate – you influence through the quality and results of your advice. Someone who wants to jump into the detail of data and media platforms and pull out the most useful insights to unlock new growth with a key brand audience. Someone who is a true Marketeer - a strategic, commercially minded thinker, who has passion for the media industry, with a finger on the pulse of the latest developments across all of Marketing and media. Someone who is eager to help our brands connect deeply with consumers and communicate our plant-based mission.
You’ll help build and lead an European team of media and digital marketing experts, based in Amsterdam and in other hubs across Europe. The team must have deep expertise in paid and owned media (both digital and traditional), and analytics and play a lead role to successfully plan media investments and execute media campaigns for local markets that create clear, measurable outcomes for our brands. You’ll create playbooks and communicate best practices rooted in an audience-led test & learn approach – you lead by example and build plans with regional and local teams and agencies across the full spectrum of media. You’ll drive flawless in-platform media execution, optimize relationships with external partners, deliver continued excellence in media planning and buying and effectively manage agencies – across digital and traditional channels. You’ll strategize, problem-solve and challenge media test ideas and their business impact, consumer insights and media execution. You’ll be our European media thought leader and share best practices with and across markets. You’ll demonstrate the business value of owned media within the customer journey and develop a vision on how they can be properly integrated within the digital marketing ecosystem, to ensure no dead ends. You’ll work closely with the Creative Content hub, PR Consumer Insights Lead to guide and support markets in a truly integrated and holistic fashion.
You’ll be driving a team at the heart of a data-driven marketing revolution. You’re excited to join us for that transformation and be the engine behind it, not just when the hard work is done. You’ll have to enjoy working in a fast-paced environment and it will take hard work and determination; we will give you the ownership you need to make an impact. You’ll have to deliver on the commitments you make. And we’ll give you the freedom and flexibility to do your job and build your own career.
At Upfield we want you to bring your ideas, your motivation and desire to succeed! This part of the role is up to you to complete.
- European Head of Media & Digital is a thought leader in digital and traditional media planning & buying, in integrated communications planning on paid, owned & earned media channels and in maximizing a brand’s presence via performance driven media strategies
- Create the European Hothouse for eventually in-housing all European digital media buying and analytics capability
- Lead and define all media plans for Europe, in collaboration with the agency and the local markets
- Establish and implement a scalable approach towards owned and earned media as an essential part of Upfield’s digital ecosystem
- De-risk marketing investment and improve ROI by implementing test plans which address key brand questions and learning before launching scale campaigns
- Create utter clarity in the impacts of Upfield’s media investments on brand sales, household penetration and brand affinity by establishing a measurement and KPI framework across the region
- Ensure excellence in all media activity – ranging from strategy to excellence in execution and reporting - for both tests and campaigns across all channels, through continually challenging the status quo and by driving actionable insights which will fuel brand growth
- Guide, advise and support local markets in budgeting / spend planning to ensure funds are invested to maximize working media spend and ROI
- Deeply involved to guide and support European Media Managers or Local Brand Managers in planning major executions – product launches, market entry, relaunches
- Lead the up-skilling and education of wider teams in everything across traditional and digital media to deliver the Upfield growth agenda
- Develop and disseminate thought leadership and define the European stance and approach in terms of tackling major digital marketing industry and media industry changes e.g., cookieless world and the importance of 1st party data
- Support and provide a strategic backbone to/strategic framework for subject matter experts (e.g., search, social, programmatic) assigned to Hothouse to keep teams focused on embedding the test & learn methodology across markets and delivering and measuring business impact
- Select an appropriate set of technologies, tools, and resources – contracted from the centre where needed and fully embedded within Hothouse
- Build playbooks from local learnings that can apply broadly – such as effective reach, frequency, and weeks of support; levers to capture demand in search, social, measurement best practices
- Develop joint business plans with key media, data and technology partners, and agencies – across all media channels
- Manage the European and be the spokesperson for Global media agency relationship and ensure world class strategic thinking, innovation in approach and performance-based media delivery is constantly delivered, based on clear and homogeneous SLAs across the region
- You have about 10-15 years of experience in marketing, of which a big part in Media
- You have developed yourself Media approaches and strategies, in big and small organisations
- You have deep understanding of how to translate business objectives into excellently executed campaigns across all paid, owned and earned media channels. Your experience covers the breadth of digital media strategy and execution as well as omni-channel media planning and buying, including deep TV expertise
- You have a track record of becoming the go-to expert in media planning and execution in a large organization – brand teams and colleagues seek you out for insight and help
- You can manage a broad set of stakeholders, working across the Upfield business collaboratively as well as actively managing relationships with external agencies / freelance partners
- You have experience in executing in key digital media platforms – ideally with deep expertise in SEA, social, programmatic, and how channels best combine for an overall sales impact.
- You have experience in establishing measurement & KPI, ROI frameworks and in setting up a test & learn approach based on target audience segmentation
- Understanding of UI/UX, CMS, CRO, analytics, marketing automation and CRM is a must
- You are energized by the prospect of transforming the marketing organization at Upfield with your media capabilities and driving change in the front-line by supporting local markets
- You are experienced in managing a cross-functional team, have managed in house buying teams, to drive best-in-class execution and inspire and motivate a high energy, action-oriented team (internally and with external partners) that includes creative expertise, website, and media channel specialists at a European and local level
Professional skills & experience
- Business English fluency
- Preferably a Degree in Marketing/Communications, Business, Economics or equivalent
- Minimum of 10 years of relevant media planning & digital marketing experience (ideally FMCG – Foods but not essential)
- Track record of increasing media investments through proven results – stronger brands and sales / penetration growth at favourable returns
- Experience in managing diverse teams with a variety of expertise – either at an agency or client side.
- Understanding of the inner workings of media agencies – either having worked there or with them for at least 5 years in a leadership role
- Core aspects underpinning all skills: consumer empathy, creativity, analytical thinking, rigour, sharp and inspiring communication skills, complex project management skills, business planning, leading teams as well as working within an agile environment
- A true Marketeer: commercial, strategic thinker, who has deep understanding of 3 C’s (Consumer, Customer, Competition), trends, practices, information, and insights impacting the business, enabling sound decisions to be made. Can focus the team and organization on the right issues to deliver targeted business results
- Strong analytical skills – specifically in the measuring, reporting and effective communication of campaign of ROI
- Preferred – previous European role supporting local markets to deploy a change management programme with focus on servicing markets
Please apply below, or if you have additional questions just send me a Linkedin message. I understand your resume might not be up to date, just send me what you have.
Andre Vleeming, Talent Acquisition Specialist