Global Packaging Manager R&D
We are on a mission to help people eat healthy and to reduce carbon footprint through the power of plants! If you would like to join us, read on!
Within a profitable industry, Upfield is focused on a long-term strategy: driving growth through innovation. With a fresh leadership team we have defined a different agenda, underpinned by bold innovation. Packaging is perceived as the key area for establishing a green global environment by changing its material, shape and usage. The ultimate result being a dramatically increased focus around all aspects of packaging, recognizing its pivotal role in the future success of Upfield.
This has provided opportunity for strength the packaging team, with a talented, dynamic and ambitious Packaging R&D Manager to orchestrate and lead a change agenda, working closely with external suppliers, to “bring the outside in” and drive the packaging agenda, to ensure it is central in all future innovation agendas.
Working closely our Global Research and Development Director and a strong technical team of experts and manager, this is a key appointment and will require exceptional leadership qualities to drive this change agenda, delivering the three to five-year innovation roadmap ensuring Upfield moves to be at the forefront of packaging innovation.
This role will deploy the global packaging strategy across the full brand portfolio, delivering a step change versus current performance. The remit will oversee and manage a large percentage of the Upfield new packaging initiatives whilst ensuring packaging excellence across the extensive Supply Base, all which will significantly contribute to the overall success of the Global R&D function.
The remit will incorporate the full End to End development of Upfield’s margarine packaging activities working closely with colleagues and relevant stakeholders.
In this role, you will inject passion and bring strong leadership to make a hugely positive impact to the way packaging delivers and innovates across the entire organization to support both short and long-term business goals. You will be encouraged to bring new insights, approaches and innovative technologies to the business to further strengthen the packaging function, given it is widely acknowledged at Board level that packaging is a critical strategic growth enabler for Upfield’s brand portfolio as well as the overall business.
Key Responsibility Areas
- Manager the agreed packaging projects which will devise and deliver the three to five-year packaging road map.
- Responsible to manage projects that will driving margin improvement whilst ensuring the ongoing compliance of the packaging portfolio globally.
- Work in partnership with a wide range of internal partners; Marketing, Supply, Procurement, R&D and Quality along with key external partners globally, to effectively drive the packaging projects.
- Support the packaging director identify trends and insights, source technology innovations, as well as maintain benchmarks versus industry peers, ensuring packaging outperformance in our respective categories.
- Support the Packaging Director to drive new packaging platforms and packaging projects as an integral part of respective category/brand pipelines.
- Support the packaging director to elevate the role of packaging within the overall innovation agenda, putting it at the heart of all discussions.
Skills and Experience Required
- Master’s degree and a passion for packaging
- 10+ years of experience in Packaging R&D; With considerable experience in packaging and product development, experience in FMCG is essential.
- An entrepreneurial spirit with an appetite for exploring new and previously uncharted territories, an openness to change and challenge, as well as ability to think differently and unconventionally.
- An inspiring manager - a track record of effective leadership of large and novel technical projects
- Proven track record of delivering significant change within an FMCG environment.
- Demonstrable skill in managing packaging / product innovation, including strategy development, and the identification, development and delivery of impactful business and consumer optimized structural and functional packaging / product innovations.
- Extensive experience in overseeing packaging / products in market, maintaining and growing existing base business, as well as driving productivity and cost optimization
- Strong understanding of the product development process, including management of key partners; design and engineering consultancies, toolmakers, and material converters.
- Vastly experienced, ideally with global experience, having operated at management levels.
- Highly agile, both in ability to respond to cultural, societal and industry trends, as well as ability to effectively understand and respond to the needs of a variety of stakeholders
- Strong understanding of the role of the consumer and brand, ability to balance these needs alongside the rational requirements of the commercial business and technical constraints of manufacturing processes
- expansive breadth of understanding and passion for all areas of packaging from trends and creative innovation, to execution and maintenance.
Your Personal Power!
At Upfield we want you to bring your ideas, your motivation and desire to succeed! This part of the role is up to you to complete.
We are a highly entrepreneurial fast-paced team running a multi-billion Euro business across 60+ countries with the mind-set of a start-up! We are agile, creative, fast-to-market and obsessed with customers and consumers. If you are an entrepreneur at heart and have a passion for winning, a strong understanding of the CPG business, ad would like to join us, apply and speak to one of our Talent Matchmakers!
Want to make an impact where it matters?
At Upfield our purpose is clear: we make people healthier and happier with nutritious and delicious, natural, plant-based products that are good for you, our planet; and with packaging that’s free from plastic.
We are the largest plant-based company in the world, and we believe in doing what’s right for our people, our customers and the planet.
We’ve got iconic brands like Rama, Country Crock, Blue Band and Flora that people all over the world know and love. We’ve been a trusted category leader since 1871 and yet we feel like we’re only just getting started.
Performance, Passion and Care define who we are as a company, how we work every day, and the responsibility we feel toward our Associates, our consumers, our business partners and our world.
We have big ambitions to grow this business and we want to attract the right people – those that love what they do, thrive on responsibility and are looking for limitless career defining opportunities.
You’ll have to enjoy working in a fast-paced environment and it will take hard work and determination; we will give you the ownership you need to make an impact.
You’ll have to deliver on the commitments you make. And we’ll give you the freedom and flexibility to do your job and build your own career.
If you want to make an impact where it matters apply now!
#upfielders #upfielder #upfieldglobal #LI-OV1