Head of Category Management
Head of Category Management
At Upfield our purpose is clear: we make people healthier and happier with nutritious and delicious, natural, plant-based products that are good for you, our planet; and with packaging that’s free from plastic. We’ve got iconic brands like Rama, Country Crock, Blue Band and Flora that people all over the world know and love. We’ve been a trusted category leader since 1871 and yet we feel like we’re only just getting started.
Performance, Passion and Care define who we are as a company, how we work every day, and the responsibility we feel toward our Associates, our consumers, our business partners and our world.
We have big ambitions to grow this business and we want to attract the right people – those that love what they do, thrive on responsibility and are looking for career defining opportunities.
About the Role!
Our Category Leadership team uncovers insights and turns then into action - positively impacting retailer, wholesaler, and category growth.
Reporting to the UK General Manager, this role will lead the team that will develop winning solutions that grow the Upfield categories and will support the development and implementation of the Upfield Category Vision in the UK. You will drive our distribution and increase the share of shelf and the quality of the shelf space we get for our brands. Through strong relationships with all external customers, the internal sales and marketing teams, you will support customers with compelling insight led growth opportunities and plans which increase sales & profitability and delivers sustainable growth.
- Through partner-based strategic relationships, influence and shape key retailers ranging and spacing decisions by providing compelling viewpoint on creating growth and value creation.
- Support the business strategies of individual retailer’s by determining the role that our brands and activations play in their maximising their relative performance
- Lead UK & Ireland (UKI) category team in supporting customers with compelling strategic growth opportunities and plans.
- Establish and foster relationships with external customers with the ultimate aim of increasing sales and profitability and drives sustainable growth.
- Establish necessary internal data management process, to ensure confidentiality of relevant retailer data (firewalls)
- Provide strategic insight and plans to the UK business which shapes business unit strategies that deliver overall mission.
- Identify insight-based category building initiatives and provide direction and thought leadership in development of appropriate UKI specific solutions that increases market share and drives sales.
- Lead process with the Category team to develop UKI Category Vision to create compelling value creation strategies and plans that can deliver accelerated growth and share winning brand activation, across our customers.
- Create the category strategies that will develop tailored joint category plans with customers, making the strategy live and breathe on a daily basis.
- Partner with key customers to generate shopper and customer/user research initiatives that will bring "Insights to Action" and lead to business building opportunities for Upfield and all UKI channels.
- Identify and address the individual development needs of the Category team across functional (technical and analytical) skills. Manage and actively support the team’s understanding of insight and data to make better decisions for the customer.
- Work with other functional teams, in particular Brand, Shopper Marketing and Sales, to design and embed the category growth drivers through consumer, shopper and market insight.
- Create channel and format strategies to unlock the category in new retail environments.
Win At Range Reviews
- Provide category range, space and distribution advice for retailers at range review alongside merchandising recommendations.
- Create world class selling stories that help Upfield win disproportionately.
- Drive Upfield’s category share growth at a higher rate than national average on competitive brands
Deliver Continuous Insight Through Performance Monitoring
- Complete regular performance updates both internally and externally.
- Liaise with data agencies to ensure we have the best insights and information available.
- Explore and execute new ideas that result in category and brand growth through use of proprietary retailer information, Upfield systems and syndicated reports
- Be the voice of the Shopper & Customer internally with the UKI Business Unit - bring the shopper and customer view to the table to aid in the delivery of Business planning & Choices, innovation launches, promotional plans and JBP building.
- You’re a born leader: You have a team to run, and the know-how to do it.
- You’re a strategy guru: You see the big picture and can localise it to the retailer at hand.
- You’re a storyteller: You’ve never met a data set you didn’t like and couldn’t explain.
- You’re a dot connector: If a = b and b = c you see beyond that and all the way to z.
- You’re passionate: food, trends and innovation excite you.
- You’re an insurgent: You can roll up your sleeves, be committed and defiant and yet remain calm and considered
Your Skills & Experience
- FMCG Category management leadership experience (10+ years)
- Demonstrable success in consumer/shopper facing commercial activation creation
- Experience in working across business teams and balancing multiple agendas
- Data analysis and insight generation
- Building great customer relationships
- Strategy creation and implementation
You’ll have to enjoy working in a fast-paced environment and it will take hard work and determination; we will give you the ownership you need to make an impact.
You’ll have to deliver on the commitments you make. And we’ll give you the freedom and flexibility to do your job and build your own career.
At Upfield we want you to bring your ideas, your motivation and desire to succeed! This part of the role is up to you to complete.
We are the largest plant-based company in the world, and we believe in doing what’s right for our people, our customers and the planet.
We are a highly entrepreneurial fast-paced team running a multi-billion Euro business across 60+ countries with the mind-set of a start-up! We are agile, creative, fast-to-market and obsessed with customers and consumers.
If you want to make an impact where it matters apply now!