Head of Product Safety
Product Safety Manager, Research and Development (Scientific Affairs)
Location: Rotterdam (end 2021 we will move to Wageningen)
- Attractive salary and benefits package
- Flexible working time and remote working opportunity
- Multicultural, dynamic and entrepreneur environment full of development opportunities
- Great atmosphere in a team of ‘best in class’ professionals
Working as part of our Scientific Affairs team and reporting to the Scientific Affairs Director, you will work with our product developers and supply chain teams to ensure that our consumer products are safe by design, and safe for their intended use. You will ensure our understanding of current and emerging risks is up to date and use your expertise to help us develop innovative consumer products. Part of your role will include supporting market issues if they should arise.
You will work with internal company experts and third-party expert advisors as part of an agile risk-management ecosystem. You’re an expert and you enjoy working on time-critical business challenges.
- Drive the Upfield product safety agenda globally:
- Develop, maintain, and provide food safety expertise for Upfield to ensure that all products are safe by design and safe for their intended use.
- Anticipate, evaluate, and advise on emerging risks related to our innovation program and product portfolio.
- Deliver high-quality risk assessments for new products, processes, ingredients to enable robust decision-making.
- Communicate internally and to business partners on risk assessment outcomes and provide guidance on risk management.
- Provide food safety expertise, including training to Scientific Affairs, R&D teams, and Operations as required.
- Conduct occasional risk assessments out-of-hours to support issue and crisis management as required.
- Managing Safety Data
- Curate clinical, post-launch-monitoring and other studies relating to ingredients and products.
- Manage safety data enquires from authorities and fulfil data requirements for regulatory documentation other than compliance.
- Represent Upfield scientific, technical interests as needed, through industry associations and/or direct with regulatory bodies, authorities, scientists.
- Higher degree (PhD) in Food Science, Chemistry, Toxicology, Microbiology.
- Proficiency in risk assessment, risk management and risk communication and experience in their application in an industrial context
- Good working knowledge of official risk assessment processes in the European Union and United States.
- Good understanding of food microbiology, toxicology food allergy and food regulations.
- Excellent external networks / credibility with regulatory authorities and scientists.
- Minimum 10 years’ experience managing product safety or regulatory affairs in a multinational food company, government or national authority. A combination of academic and practical industry experience is highly desirable.
- Experience leading small teams of professionals is desirable.
- Flexibility and willingness to adapt within a fast-changing business environment
- Good influencing and communication skills; ability to communicate scientific information to individuals from other disciplines or from non-technical backgrounds. Ability to work in cross-disciplinary teams and in multi-cultural environments.
- Fluency in English is required. Proficiency in one or more European languages is desirable.
Travel Required-Approximately ca. 10% depending on role and business needs
You will be joining the world’s largest plant-based nutrition company that operates in over 95 countries. We are building a sustainable business that delivers a positive social impact wherever we can. You can find out more about us here.
So, if you are a people person, believe in a Better Plant Based-Future and connect with our core values of Performance, Passion, and Care, click the easy apply button below!